Installation - How do I install a theme From Online Manual
You've just managed to get through installing SMF and, quite naturally, you're extremely proud of yourself! I'm guessing that, now, you'd like to customize your forum, to change the look and feel of it, in line with its subject matter. You can do this with a theme.
Getting a new theme really is simple. Here is the most common way to do it.
- Backup your database and files. It is very rare for anything to go wrong with this, but it's best to be prepared, just in case.
- Go to the SMF theme site http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes. Choose a theme that is compatible with your version of SMF. Download the theme to your desktop computer.
- Go to the "Themes and layout" section of your SMF admin panel and, at the bottom of the page, you'll see the "Install a New Theme" section. Click on "Choose", alongside "From a file". A dialog box will open.
- Using that requester, navigate to the theme you just downloaded. Click the "Install" button.
- An alert will pop up. Confirm that you want to install the theme.
- Your theme is installed!
- In "Themes and layout", next to "Overall forum default:", select this theme's name. It will be the new look for your site.
Now that you have figured that out, don't forget to backup!
There are other ways of installing themes. If you want to read about those ways, have a look here: Install a New Theme