Installation - How do I install a theme: Difference between revisions From Online Manual

Jump to: navigation, search
(homogenized language)
Line 1: Line 1:
You've just managed to get through installing SMF and, quite naturally, you're extremely proud of yourself! I'm guessing that, now, you'd like to customize your forum, to change the look and feel of it, in line with its subject matter.
You've just managed to get through installing SMF and, quite naturally, you're extremely proud of yourself! I'm guessing that, now, you'd like to customize your forum, to change the look and feel of it, in line with its subject matter.  You can do this with a theme.

Let's deal with themes.
Getting a new theme really is simple. Here is the most common way to do it.

There are several ways of installing themes. Let's deal with the most common way, here. It's as easy as this:
# [[Backup]] your database and files. It is very rare for anything to go wrong with this, but it's best to be prepared, just in case.

# Go to the SMF theme site http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes.  Choose a theme that is compatible with your version of SMF.  Download the theme to your desktop computer.
# I really can't stress this enough. BACKUP! [[Backup]] everything, both your forum, itself, and your database. It's very rare that anything would go wrong, with this. But, it's best to be prepared, just in case.
# Go to the "Themes and layout" section of your SMF admin panel and, at the bottom of the page, you'll see the "Install a New Theme" section. Click on "Choose", alongside "From a file". A dialog box will open.  
# Download the theme, from the theme site, making sure that the theme is compatible with the version of SMF that you're using. http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes
# Using that requester, navigate to the theme you just downloaded. Click the "Install" button.
# Go to the "Themes and layout" section of your SMF admin panel and, at the bottom of the page, you'll see the "Install a New Theme" section. In there, click on "Choose", alongside "From a file". A requester will open, which you can use to navigate to the theme that you downloaded, from the theme site.
# An alert will pop up. Confirm that you want to install the theme.
# Using that requester, navigate to the theme that you downloaded and click "Install", to the right of that requester.
# Confirm that you want the theme to install, when the alert pops-up.
# Your theme is installed!
# Your theme is installed!
# In "Themes and layout",  next to "Overall forum default:", select this theme's name. It will be the new look for your site.

Yes, it really is that simple!
Now that you have figured that out, don't forget to backup!

Now, as that was successful, it'd be an extremely good idea to... You guessed it... BACKUP! You don't want all that work, wasted, now do you?

As I said, at the beginning, there are other ways of installing themes. If you want to read about those ways, have a look here: [[{{Latest docs}}Themes_and_Layout#Install_a_New_Theme|Install a New Theme]]
There are other ways of installing themes. If you want to read about those ways, have a look here: [[{{Latest docs}}Themes_and_Layout#Install_a_New_Theme|Install a New Theme]]
[[Category:FAQ]][[Category:BFG]]
[[Category:FAQ]][[Category:BFG]]

Revision as of 18:30, 11 April 2014

You've just managed to get through installing SMF and, quite naturally, you're extremely proud of yourself! I'm guessing that, now, you'd like to customize your forum, to change the look and feel of it, in line with its subject matter. You can do this with a theme.

Getting a new theme really is simple. Here is the most common way to do it.

1. Backup your database and files. It is very rare for anything to go wrong with this, but it's best to be prepared, just in case.
  2. Go to the SMF theme site http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes. Choose a theme that is compatible with your version of SMF. Download the theme to your desktop computer.
  3. Go to the "Themes and layout" section of your SMF admin panel and, at the bottom of the page, you'll see the "Install a New Theme" section. Click on "Choose", alongside "From a file". A dialog box will open.
  4. Using that requester, navigate to the theme you just downloaded. Click the "Install" button.
  5. An alert will pop up. Confirm that you want to install the theme.
  6. Your theme is installed!
  7. In "Themes and layout", next to "Overall forum default:", select this theme's name. It will be the new look for your site.

Now that you have figured that out, don't forget to backup!

There are other ways of installing themes. If you want to read about those ways, have a look here: Install a New Theme

Advertisement: