Installation - How do I install a theme: Difference between revisions From Online Manual

Jump to: navigation, search
No edit summary
(Updated text from K@)
Line 1: Line 1:
Although it's very unlikely that installing a theme will destroy your forum, because it's easy enough to revert to the default theme, if required, some members have been known to attempt to install themes that are for different versions of SMF that the theme was designed for. In view of this, we'd always recommend that you backup your forum, before installing a theme.
You've just managed to get through installing SMF and, quite naturally, you're extremely proud of yourself! I'm guessing that, now, you'd like to customize your forum, to change the look and feel of it, in line with its subject matter.

If you're unsure how to do that, you can read all about that here: [[Backup]]
Let's deal with themes.

That having been done, we can move-on to the actual installation of themes.
There are several ways of installing themes. Let's deal with the most common way, here. It's as easy as this:

Go to ''[[Administration Center]] > Configuration > [[Themes and Layout]] > [[Themes and Layout#Manage and Install|Manage and Install]]''.
# I really can't stress this enough. BACKUP! [[Backup]] everything, both your forum, itself, and your database. It's very rare that anything would go wrong, with this. But, it's best to be prepared, just in case.
# Download the theme, from the theme site, making sure that the theme is compatible with the version of SMF that you're using. http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes
# Go to the "Themes and layout" section of your SMF admin panel and, at the bottom of the page, you'll see the "Install a New Theme" section. In there, click on "Choose", alongside "From a file". A requester will open, which you can use to navigate to the theme that you downloaded, from the theme site.
# Using that requester, navigate to the theme that you downloaded and click "Install", to the right of that requester.
# Confirm that you want the theme to install, when the alert pops-up.
# Your theme is installed!

On this page, you can install a new theme by:
Yes, it really is that simple!
*Clicking "Install a New Theme" and "From a file:", uploading a file that you've downloaded, (i.e. downloaded from the [http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php SMF Theme site]) as an archive.
*selecting an existing directory on the server (i.e. a theme you previously uploaded)
*duplicating the [[SMF default theme]]

[[Category:FAQ]][[Category:BFG]]
Now, as that was successful, it'd be an extremely good idea to... You guessed it... BACKUP! You don't want all that work, wasted, now do you?

As I said, at the beginning, there are other ways of installing themes. If you want to read about those ways, have a look here: [[{{Latest docs}}Themes_and_Layout#Install_a_New_Theme|Install a New Theme]]

Revision as of 21:28, 24 January 2014

You've just managed to get through installing SMF and, quite naturally, you're extremely proud of yourself! I'm guessing that, now, you'd like to customize your forum, to change the look and feel of it, in line with its subject matter.

Let's deal with themes.

There are several ways of installing themes. Let's deal with the most common way, here. It's as easy as this:

1. I really can't stress this enough. BACKUP! Backup everything, both your forum, itself, and your database. It's very rare that anything would go wrong, with this. But, it's best to be prepared, just in case.
  2. Download the theme, from the theme site, making sure that the theme is compatible with the version of SMF that you're using. http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes
  3. Go to the "Themes and layout" section of your SMF admin panel and, at the bottom of the page, you'll see the "Install a New Theme" section. In there, click on "Choose", alongside "From a file". A requester will open, which you can use to navigate to the theme that you downloaded, from the theme site.
  4. Using that requester, navigate to the theme that you downloaded and click "Install", to the right of that requester.
  5. Confirm that you want the theme to install, when the alert pops-up.
  6. Your theme is installed!

Yes, it really is that simple!

Now, as that was successful, it'd be an extremely good idea to... You guessed it... BACKUP! You don't want all that work, wasted, now do you?

As I said, at the beginning, there are other ways of installing themes. If you want to read about those ways, have a look here: Install a New Theme

Advertisement: