User:Irisado From Online Manual
SMF enables you to have separate permissions for each board, so that different membergroups can do different things on different boards. For example, this can be useful if you want users to be allowed to reply to posts, but not to create new topics in a certain board.
One permission profile which administrators often like to create is one which limits which boards new members can post in until they reach a certain post count. The following steps give an example of how to create such a permission profile:
- A board needs to be created or an existing one can be used.
- Remove all posting and reply permissions from the "Regular members" group.
- Enable permissions for post count based groups. This option can be enabled from Admin > Members > Permissions > Settings, selecting Enable permissions for post count based groups and saving. Further details on this can be found here.
- Set up at least two post-count based groups, one for members with zero posts and another for members with the number of posts that you want the group to have.
- In the post-count based group for members with the number of posts you chose, assign permissions to this group to allow posting and replies. By contrast, do not allow posting and replies in the zero post-count group.
- Create a permission profile for the board on which you want to restrict the the actions of members. Please look here for instructions on how to create the profile. In this profile be sure to allow the zero post-count group to be able to post and/or reply. If using SMF v2.*, remember to assign the profile to the proper board by editing the board.
After you have completed these steps, you will have set things up so that those in a post-count based group with the number of posts you chose can create new topics and reply to topics in all boards, but those that do not have that number of posts will not be able to post in any board other than the one with the profile assigned to it. It will be necessary to give posting permissions to the other post-count based groups if more than two groups exist.