SMF2.0:Requirements and recommendations
From Online Manual
To run an SMF forum the server it resides on, as well as the browsers used by its users, will need to meet some specified requirements. Additionally, there are some recommended requirements that may give advanced capabilities to users. Basic Server Requirements---- Any webserver that has approximately six megabytes of available disk space, and properly supports PHP, such as Apache or Internet Information Services (IIS). The following is required to be installed on the server: PHP 4.1.0 or higher. The following are required to be set correctly in your php.ini file:
- the engine directive must be On.
- magic_quotes_sybase directive must be set to Off.
- session.save_path directive must be set to a valid directory, or empty.
- file_uploads directive must be On.
- upload_tmp_dir must be set to a valid directory, or empty.
- A minimum of 500 kilobytes of storage space in the database, although more is highly recommended.
- The database user should have the following privileges (at minimum): SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, ALTER, and INDEX.
- The database user should have CREATE and DROP privileges during install, upgrade, and conversion processes.
Server Recommendations---- These are not required, but may be beneficial to your SMF install and enable you to use more functions.
- Windows, Linux or another Unix based operating system.
- GNU Aspell 0.50 or higher (with appropriate dictionaries) for spell checking functionality.
- Apache 2.0.x or above with AcceptPathInfo set to On for queryless URL support.
- PHP 5.2.0 or higher, with the following set in your php.ini file:
- max_input_time set to a value of at least 30.
- post_max_size and upload_max_filesize set to the size of the largest attachments you wish to be able to upload.
- memory_limit set to at least 8M.
- max_execution_time set to at least 15.
- register_globals set to Off.
- session.use_trans_sid set to Off
- safe mode disabled, or PHP suExec enabled.
- Database Support
- MySQL 5.0 or higher if you using MySQL.
- PostgreSQL 8.3.3 or higher if using PostgreSQL.
- SQLite 3.6.1 or higher if using SQLite.
- GD Graphics Library 2.0 or higher.
Basic Client Requirements---- Supported browsers
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher (7.0 or higher recommended).
- Opera 7.0 or higher (9.5 or higher recommended).
- Netscape 6.0 or higher.
- Mozilla Suite 1.0.2 or higher.
- Konqueror or Galeon.
- Apple Safari 1.0 or higher (3.0 or higher recommended).
- Mozilla Firefox 0.8 or higher (2.0 or higher recommended).
Browser Settings Requirements:
Browsers that are not recommended or are unsupported:
- Mac IE 5.1.7 or higher.
- Opera 6.0.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0.
- Netscape Navigator 4.0 (unsupported).
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0 (unsupported).