SMF1.1:Smileys and Message Icons
From Online Manual
Here you will see the listing of every smiley set you have installed on your forum.
On this page you will see:
In the first column, a * is put next to the set that is used as your forums default smiley set. The next column you will see the name of the smiley set. Next to that you will see the url to the smiley set's folder on your server. And beside that you will see a modify button. You will also notice a checkbox next to each smiley set where you can delete the smiley set from your forums. Please note, you can not delete the default smiley set
When you click on the modify button, you can edit the name of the smiley set and whether it is the default smiley set used on your forums.
In the last column, there are checkboxes for each smiley set listed. You can check any smiley sets you want and click the "Delete Selected" button at the bottom of the page if you wish to delete any smiley sets.
Next to the delete button, there is a New Smiley Set button. Upon clicking this button, you are taking to a new page where you can add a new smiley set to your forum by filling out certain details.
- Name - The name you wish to give to the smiley set.
- URL - The URL of where the smiley set is located. Notice that the smileys directory is already inputted in for you, so you just need to use the dropdown at the end to select the directory name of the smiley set. All smiley sets that are already being used are grayed out and are not selectable.
- Default Smiley Set - Checking this will make the smiley set you are about to add, the default smiley set on your forum.
- Import smileys already in this directory' - Checking this will import all image files already in the directory into the actual smiley set. The smileys will be stored in the database.
This is all you can do on this page. If you want to add smileys to a set, edit their code, placement order, places they are displayed (ex. On Post screen, pop-up or hidden) you need to enable Enable customized smileys on the Settings page of the smiley section.
There are two boxes for uploading and controlling the settings of the smiley you are about to add.
The first box titled Image Source has two options:
- Use Existing File - Where you select the smiley set the smiley has been uploaded to and the filename of the smiley.
- Upload New Smiley -Where you can upload a new smiley from your local computer by clicking "Browse" and finding the smiley you wish to add on your computer. You can also check "Same image for all sets" if you would like the same smiley to be added to every smiley set on your forum.
The second box, titled Add new smiley contains:
- Code - Enter here the code you wish to be typed in for the smiley to be shown in a post.
- Tooltip or description - Enter the description of the smiley so when a mouse hovers over it it will show it.
- Location - Choose from "Post form", which will show a clickable smiley right on the posting screen. "Hidden", which will not show the smiley anywhere but instead can only be used when the smileys code is typed in. "Popup", which will show the smiley in a popup box if the user clicks on the link for additional smileys.
Showing Smilies and settings for Smilies----On the top of the page (below the Smileys and Message Icons tabs) you will see a dropdown with all of the smiley sets you have installed on your forum. First select the smiley set you want to edit by selecting it through the drop down. Right away all of the smileys will be changed to what they look like in the smiley of the set you just changed it to, no refresh is used.
Below the dropdown you will see a seven column table divided in the following:
- The first column will show the actual smiley you are dealing with. Click on the smiley and you will be allowed to modify the settings of the smiley.
- Code - This will show code used for that smiley. Being the code that you type in a Post for the smiley to be shown.
- Filename - Shown here is the filename of the smiley as it is shown in the smiley's smiley set folder uploaded on your forum.
- Location - Shown here is the current location of the smiley. If it says hidden, the smiley will not be shown anywhere. If it says Post-form, the smiley will be shown directly on the posting screen where you can click on it and the smiley's code will be inserted into the message box. If it says Popup, the smiley will be shown only when you click for a popup box showing all of the smileys available.
- Tooltip or description - Shown here is what the description of the smiley is. So when you hover your mouse over a smiley, you will see the description you put in for the smiley.
- Modify - Shown here is a link to modify the settings of the smiley. It will lead to the same page as clicking on the actual smiley in the first column.
- The last column can save you a lot of time. You can perform a action on each selected smiley by checking the smiley and going down to the dropdown at the bottom and selecting the location you want the selected smileys to be, or to remove the selected smilies.
Modifying a smiley----When you modify a smiley, you will be presented with these options:
- Code: Enter here the code you wish to be typed in for the smiley to be shown in a post.
- Filename:Select the file for the smiley from a dropdown of all of the smileys uploaded on your forum.
- Tooltip or description: Enter the description of the smiley so when a mouse hovers over it it will show it.
- Location: Choose from "Post form", which will show a clickable smiley right on the posting screen. "Hidden", which will not show the smiley anywhere but instead can only be used when the smileys code is typed in. "Popup", which will show the smiley in a popup box if the user clicks on the link for additional smileys.
Set Smiley Order
The Set smiley order section is a simple place to reorder the order your smilies appear in.
The first box is for the smileys on your post-form and the second is for smileys on the popup box.
Simply click on any smiley, a red box will then highlight the selected smiley. Then, click on any of the arrows pointing down to place the smiliey in that exact location.
Edit Message Icons
Viewing your message icons The Edit Message Icons section is for managing your message icons on your forum.
You will see a 6 column table on this page. The first column shows the actual message icon image. The second column shows the filename of the message icon as the name you uploaded on to your server. The third column is the description of the message icon as you would see when hovering your mouse over a message icon. The fourth column shows the boards the message icon is in. Either it will say all boards, or a specific Board you will find the icon. The fifth column shows a modify button so you can modify your message icons. And the last column has a checkbox where you can remove the selected message icons by clicking the "Remove" button located at the bottom.
Editing your message icons When you click "Modify" next to any message icon you will see a page where you can see and edit the following: Preview: Shows you the message icon your are currently editing. Filename: The filename of the message icon, this needs to match a image uploaded on your server in Themes/default/images/Post Tooltip or description: The description of your message icon. Which is what will show up when you hover your mouse over it. Board: Either choose to allow members to use the message icon on every Forum or just a specific Board that you select from the dropdown. Location: Pick the order you want the message icon to appear on the dropdown list on the Post screen.