From Online Manual
Subscribing to a Topic
There are two ways to subscribe to a topic:
- When you are posting a reply, under Attachments and other options, you may check the Notify me of replies box.
- When you are viewing the topic, you may select the Notify button at the top or bottom of the page. You will be asked if you are sure, select OK to confirm the subscription.
Subscribing to a Board
To subscribe to a board, you may select the Notify button at the top or bottom of the Message Index of the respective board.
Unsubscribing from a Topic or Board
Once you have subscribed to a topic or a board, you may manage your subscriptions in your profile, under Modify Profile > Notifications.
On the Notifications page, you will be presented with a list of every topic and board you have subscribed to. To unsubscribe from topics or boards, check the boxes for the respective topics and boards and then click on Unsubscribe.
To quickly unsubscribe from a topic or a board which you are currently viewing, you may select the Unnotify button which is located above and below the topic display or the message index of a board
SMF is capable of sending e-mails for subscriptions. You can change the settings for this feature in your profile, under Modify Profile > Notifications. The following settings are available:
- Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email - If this is enabled, any newsletters or announcements from the forum will be sent to your email inbox. Administrators can remove this option by unchecking Allow users to disable announcements in the section Features and Options.
- Enable notification when I post or reply to a topic - If this setting is enabled, you will automatically be subscribed to any topic you reply to or post yourself.
- When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email (but please do not reply to these emails) - If this setting is enabled and you subscribe to a topic, SMF will copy the contents of the new reply into the email.
- For topics and boards from which I have requested notification, notify me: - This setting changes the timespan of when emails will be sent out by the forum. Possible options are:
- Instantly (but only for the first unread reply)
- For topics and boards from which I have requested notification, notify me of: - This setting changes when SMF will send e-mail notifications to you. Possible options are:
- Replies and Moderation
- Moderation (only if I started the topic)
- Only replies
- Nothing at all