Notifications: Difference between revisions From Online Manual

Jump to: navigation, search
mNo edit summary

(15 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
==How to Receive, Change, and Remove Notifications==
{{TOCright}}
Notifications are a way to keep up with interesting [[Topic|topics]] and [[Board|boards]]. This may be a topic which you have posted in, or a topic which you are interested in keeping up with.

Notifications are useful if you want to be kept up to date when new posts are made to a thread which you are interested in following.  This may be a thread which you have posted in, or a thread which you are just interested in reading.  There are two ways in which a thread can be set to notify:
== Using Notifications ==

# Selecting the '''Notify me of replies''' box when posting a reply to a thread.  More details on this can be found in the [[Posting#Additional_Options|additional options section of the posting page]].
=== Subscribing to a Topic ===
# Selecting the Notify button on the top, or bottom, of the thread or page which is currently being viewed.  Selecting this will prompt SMF to ask if you are sure that you wish to be notified of new replies to the thread.  Assuming you select OK, the thread will automatically be set to notify, meaning that the first time another member of the forum posts a new reply, you will receive an e-mail to the account which you used to join the forum.  To stop receiving notifications from the thread, simply select the unnotify button from the top, or bottom, of the thread or page.

If you wish to see a list of the threads which you have set to notify, select the Notifications page from your profile. On this page you can do the following:
There are two ways to subscribe to a topic:
# When you are [[Posting#Replying_to_a_Topic_or_Poll|posting a reply]], under ''[[Posting#Additional_Options|Attachments and other options]]'', you may check the ''Notify me of replies'' box.
# When you are viewing the topic, you may select the ''Notify'' button at the top or bottom of the page. You will be asked if you are sure, select OK to confirm the subscription.

# Change whether you receive news, announcements, and important notifications by e-mail.
=== Subscribing to a Board ===
# Choose whether you want to enable notification by default when you start, or reply to, a thread.
# Choose to have the content of the posted reply sent to you via the e-mail notification.
# Choose the frequency of notifications, and whether you wish to be notified each time a reply is posted, or only for the first reply posted before you next login.
# Choose the type of notifications which you receive for threads, or boards, which you have set to notify.

The list of notified threads is located below this list of options.  Here you can select any number of threads from the list by checking the appropriate box, and then selecting the unnotify button if you wish to stop receiving e-mails about new replies to a thread.  Threads which are no longer set to notify are also removed from this list when you select this option.
To subscribe to a board, you may select the ''Notify'' button at the top or bottom of the [[Message index|Message Index]] of the respective board.

It also possible to set individual boards on a forum to notify by selecting this button from the top right hand corner above the list of threads within a particular board. Selecting unnotify from the same place will also remove this notification, as it would do for a thread. A list of boards which are set to notify can also be seen on the Notifications and e-mails screen below the list of threads set to notify, and can be set to unnotify in the same way as described above for threads.
=== Unsubscribing from a Topic or Board ===
[[Category:As_a_regular_user]]

Once you have subscribed to a topic or a board, you may manage your subscriptions in your [[profile]], under ''Modify Profile > Notifications''.

On the ''Notifications'' page, you will be presented with a list of every topic and board you have subscribed to. To unsubscribe from topics or boards, check the boxes for the respective topics and boards and then click on ''Unsubscribe''.

To quickly unsubscribe from a topic or a board which you are currently viewing, you may select the ''Unnotify'' button which is located above and below the [[Topic display|topic display]] or the message index of a board

== Notification Settings ==

SMF is capable of sending e-mails for subscriptions. You can change the settings for this feature in your [[profile]], under ''Modify Profile > Notifications''. The following settings are available:

*'''Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email''' - If this is enabled, any [[News_and_newsletters#Newsletters|newsletters]] or announcements from the forum will be sent to your email inbox. Administrators can remove this option by unchecking ''Allow users to disable announcements'' in the section [[Features and Options]].

*'''Enable notification when I post or reply to a topic''' - If this setting is enabled, you will automatically be subscribed to any topic you reply to or post yourself.

*'''When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email (but please do not reply to these emails)''' - If this setting is enabled and you subscribe to a topic, SMF will copy the contents of the new reply into the email.

*'''For topics and boards from which I have requested notification, notify me:''' - This setting changes the timespan of when emails will be sent out by the forum. Possible options are:
** Instantly
** Instantly (but only for the first unread reply)
** Daily
** Weekly

*'''For topics and boards from which I have requested notification, notify me of:''' - This setting changes when SMF will send e-mail notifications to you. Possible options are:
** Replies and Moderation
** Moderation (only if I started the topic)
** Only replies
** Nothing at all
{{ {{Localized|As a regular user}}}}

Latest revision as of 23:32, 29 October 2013

Notifications are a way to keep up with interesting topics and boards. This may be a topic which you have posted in, or a topic which you are interested in keeping up with.

Using Notifications

Subscribing to a Topic

There are two ways to subscribe to a topic:

1. When you are posting a reply, under Attachments and other options, you may check the Notify me of replies box.
  2. When you are viewing the topic, you may select the Notify button at the top or bottom of the page. You will be asked if you are sure, select OK to confirm the subscription.

Subscribing to a Board

To subscribe to a board, you may select the Notify button at the top or bottom of the Message Index of the respective board.

Unsubscribing from a Topic or Board

Once you have subscribed to a topic or a board, you may manage your subscriptions in your profile, under Modify Profile > Notifications.

On the Notifications page, you will be presented with a list of every topic and board you have subscribed to. To unsubscribe from topics or boards, check the boxes for the respective topics and boards and then click on Unsubscribe.

To quickly unsubscribe from a topic or a board which you are currently viewing, you may select the Unnotify button which is located above and below the topic display or the message index of a board

Notification Settings

SMF is capable of sending e-mails for subscriptions. You can change the settings for this feature in your profile, under Modify Profile > Notifications. The following settings are available:

• Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email - If this is enabled, any newsletters or announcements from the forum will be sent to your email inbox. Administrators can remove this option by unchecking Allow users to disable announcements in the section Features and Options.
  • Enable notification when I post or reply to a topic - If this setting is enabled, you will automatically be subscribed to any topic you reply to or post yourself.
  • When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email (but please do not reply to these emails) - If this setting is enabled and you subscribe to a topic, SMF will copy the contents of the new reply into the email.
  • For topics and boards from which I have requested notification, notify me: - This setting changes the timespan of when emails will be sent out by the forum. Possible options are:
    • Instantly
    • Instantly (but only for the first unread reply)
    • Daily
    • Weekly
  • For topics and boards from which I have requested notification, notify me of: - This setting changes when SMF will send e-mail notifications to you. Possible options are:
    • Replies and Moderation
    • Moderation (only if I started the topic)
    • Only replies
    • Nothing at all

Advertisement: