Buttons - How do I add buttons to SMF 2.0: Difference between revisions From Online Manual

Jump to: navigation, search
(The following instructions will describe how to add a link in the main menu.)

No edit summary
Line 38: Line 38:
** If this is the last sub-item in the sub-menu, then the line 'is_last'=true; should be added/defined in order for the CSS to properly close the dropdown list.
** If this is the last sub-item in the sub-menu, then the line 'is_last'=true; should be added/defined in order for the CSS to properly close the dropdown list.
Lastly, for correct coding, each of of the sub-arrays which was opened, must be closed. i.e. for each (, there must also be a )
Lastly, for correct coding, each of of the sub-arrays which was opened, must be closed. i.e. for each (, there must also be a )
[[Category:Staging]]

Revision as of 05:34, 29 November 2010

The following instructions will describe how to add a link in the main menu. As described, the instructions will add a menu item just before the members list in the main menu. To place the menu item in a different order, find the appropriately names section of the array and add the following code before it.

In /Sources/Subs.php

find:

'member_list' => array(

add before:

'menu_action' => array(
       'title' => 'text for menu', 
       'href' => $scripturl,
       'show' => true,
       'sub_buttons' => array(
           'sub_menu_action' => array(
               'title' => 'text for sub-menu',
               'href' => $scripturl . '?action=newaction',
               'show' => true,
               'is_last'=> true,
           ),
       ),
   ),

As you can see, each entry in the array has a main section and a sub_button(s) section. Each of the items in the main level of the array must be present and defined.

• The 'menu_action' is a standard php variable name (no spaces, etc) that clearly (and concisely) describes the action.
  • The title is the text that will be shown in the main menu. If the forum uses only a single language, this can be defined directly in the code (hardcoded). However, if this is being coded for a mod, or the forum uses more than one language, the text for this item should use a $txt string variable which is then defined in the modifications.each_language.php file(s).
  • The href is the link that the menu item will link to. This can be a relative url, an absolute url, or, as in this case, a url defined by the standard $scripturl global variable.
  • The show variable defines whether this menu item is displayed or not. This can be set to true, false, or defined to use some sort of logic (i.e. allowedTo('admin_forum'))
  • If there are no further drop-down/sub-level buttons for this menu item, then sub_buttons can be defined as and empty sub-array. i.e.
       'sub_buttons' => array(
       ),
  • However, if the menu item is going to have sub-menu items, then each sub-menu action needs to be defined under sub_buttons.
    • The 'sub_menu_action' is a standard php variable name (no spaces, etc) that clearly (and concisely) describes the sub-action.
    • The title is the text that will be shown in the sub-menu. Like the main menu tile-text, if the forum uses only a single language, this can be defined directly in the code (hardcoded). However, if this is being coded for a mod, or the forum uses more than one language, the text for this item should use a $txt string variable which is then defined in the modifications.each_language.php file(s).
    • The href is the link that the sub-menu item will link to. Again, this can be a relative url, an absolute url, or, as in this case, a url defined by the standard $scripturl global variable along with an action (which must exist in the index.php action array).
    • The show variable defines whether this sub-menu item is displayed or not. This can be set to true, false, or defined to use some sort of logic (i.e. allowedTo('admin_forum'))
    • If this is the last sub-item in the sub-menu, then the line 'is_last'=true; should be added/defined in order for the CSS to properly close the dropdown list.

Advertisement: