Installation - How do I install a theme
From Online Manual
To change the appearance of your forum, you can install a new theme. In order to obtain a new theme, follow the steps outlined below:
Note: if you install a theme after having installed mods, those mods will not be installed properly in that theme if the mod affected any of the template files used by that theme. Changes for mods will either have to be applied manually or the mod will need to be uninstalled and then reinstalled.
- Backup your database and files.
- Go to the SMF theme site. Choose a theme that is compatible with your version of SMF. Download the theme to your desktop computer.
- Go to the Themes and layout section of your SMF admin panel. At the bottom of the page you will see the "Install a New Theme" section. Click "Choose" to open a dialogue box.
- Within this box, find the theme that you have just downloaded and click the "Install" button.
- An alert will pop up. Confirm that you want to install the theme.
- Your theme is installed.
If you want to make your new theme the forum default, go to "Themes and layout" and select the theme in the dropdown box next to "Overall forum default:", then click 'Save'.
Note: if you change the "Overall forum default:" to a new default theme, it only changes the theme for guests and new members that register on the forum after the new theme is made default. Everyone else will stay on the old theme unless you also use the "Reset everyone to:" option, even if they were already on the previous default theme and never changed the option in their profile.
Once you have completed this process, and you are happy with the appearance of your forum, remember to backup.
Alternative ways to install a new theme can be found here: Install a New Theme